[ARNPCare] June 2014

ARNP Care Monthly NewsLetter arnpcare at nurse.net
Tue Jun 24 22:13:55 PDT 2014

Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner Care
Official Newsletter of ARNPs United of Washington State
Volume 25(4) June 2014
Articles
Jobs
CE
Service Ads
Meetings
Photo of the Month
Ad & Publication Information
Home Health Care Planning Improvement Act of 2013

This bill is the one that will enable NPs to sign for initial home health care orders.
Rep. DelBene has agreed to become a co-sponsor of the Home Health Care Planning Improvement Act of 2013 (H.R. 2504/ S. 1332)! While this is great news we need additional support from our other members of congress. Please communicate with your Members of Congress and voice your support for this important bill. Use this link to contact your Members of Congress to urge them to co-sponsor the Home Health Care Planning Improvement Act of 2013 (H.R. 2504/ S. 1332).

These Members of Congress have co-sponsored the bill:
1st District — Rep. Suzan DelBene [D]
10th District — Rep. Denny Heck [D]

These Members of Congress have not yet co-sponsored the bill:
Sen. Patty Murray [D]
Sen. Maria Cantwell [D]
2nd District — Rep. Rick Larsen [D]
3rd District — Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler [R]
4th District — Rep. Doc Hastings [R]
5th District — Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers [R]
6th District — Rep. Derek Kilmer [D]
7th District — Rep. Jim McDermott [D]
8th District — Rep. David Reichert [R]
9th District — Rep. Adam Smith [D]

HPV Vaccination Survey

At the end of 2013, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) named the slow uptake of the anti-cancer human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine one of the top five health threats for 2014.

Washington’s Department of Health wants to work with you to improve HPV vaccination rates in Washington, and prevent HPV related cancer. We need your input to help determine the education and support providers want and need to help improve HPV vaccination rates.
We created a 5-10 minute survey to gather input from clinicians who provide care for adolescents in Washington. Please provide your input online at:

https://fortress.wa.gov/doh/opinio/s?s=HPVVaccinationSurvey&opdata_group=ARNP
The link to this survey will close on Friday, August 29th.

We want your thoughts about:
•     How you promote HPV vaccination with patients and parents
•     What you think the barriers are to vaccinating all adolescents
•     What is missing from educational or communication materials.

Thank you in advance for helping us make progress toward eliminating HPV related cancer!

If you have questions, please contact: Hanna Oltean
E-mail: hanna.oltean at doh.wa.gov Phone: 206.418.5428
AACN & NONPF Issue Joint Response to New York Times Op-Ed on NPs

On May 1, AACN President Dr. Eileen T. Breslin joined with Dr. Sheila Melander, President of the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties, to issue a joint response to a recent opinion piece in the New York Times by Dr. Sandeep Jauhar titled “Nurses are not doctors.”  In his article, Dr. Jauhar challenges the preparation of nurse practitioners (NPs) to practice independently as well as the ability of NPs to provide high quality, cost-effective care. In the AACN-NONPF response, Drs. Breslin and Melander refute these claims, argue that NPs pose no risk to patient safety, and point to the growing body of evidence which shows that the outcomes of care from equivalent services provided by NPs and physicians are the same. Read the original New York Times op-ed here and read the joint AACN-NONPF response here.
from AACN Faculty Link, May 2014
Seattle Storm & WSNA Promoting Exercise & Nurses

The new WSNA - Seattle Storm Nurse TV Video featuring Storm players Tanisha Wright and Sue Bird talking about the importance of Nurses (Sue’s mom is a school nurse) is available for viewing. As part of our corporate sponsorship, this ad is airing on local TV stations KONG TV and LIFEWISE TV and nationally on the WNBA LiveAccess streaming video during the Storm Home games.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3158176/WSNA.mov?dl=1

WSNA has been a corporate partner of the Seattle Storm since 2000.  Each year WSNA and the Seattle Storm team up to promote exercise and healthy life styles for young kids by promoting their Be Fit campaign and we have a special recognition of nurses and nursing during Nurses Night with the Seattle Storm.  This year Nurses Night is Saturday July 5th.
Contact Lillian at WSNA for an opportunity for discounted tickets for the Nurses Night game – It will be a great game with Chicago at Key Arena.  As part of this special night, all nurses, nursing students and persons interested in the nursing profession, along with their family and friends, are invited to the game and all nurses will be asked to stand to receive a special recognition during the game. Join us at the game!  It will be fun!

Go Storm!
Give Birth to the End of Hep B

The Washington State Department of Health and the Immunization Action Coalition (IAC) encourage health professionals, hospitals, and birthing centers to participate in the Give birth to the end of Hep B project (http://www.immunize.org/protect-newborns).

The national project urges hospitals and birthing centers to meet the standard of care by recommending that every newborn receive the first dose of hepatitis B vaccine prior to hospital discharge. Facilities with high coverage rates for administering the birth dose of hepatitis B vaccine can sign up for the Birth Dose Honor Roll that recognizes this accomplishment.

Chronic hepatitis B is still a problem. About 800 newborns are infected each year in the United States. Medical errors, poor oversight, and lack of communication between multiple providers and the delivery hospital can cause some infants born to a woman with hepatitis B to be missed. The birth dose of hepatitis B vaccine is the first step in creating a vaccine safety net that can protect infants from hepatitis B infection. Give birth to the end of Hep B includes resources to help hospitals and birthing centers establish and implement their birth dose policies. We encourage all hospitals to have policies to protect newborns from hepatitis B, which can cause liver failure and liver cancer. The birth dose coverage rate is also a measure of hospital quality adopted by the National Quality Forum.

Visit the Department of Health website, the IAC website, or contact your local perinatal hepatitis B coordinator for more information and resources including information about the Washington Childhood Vaccine Program. It offers vaccine at no cost for use by private and public providers.

Kathy Lofy, M.D., State Health Officer
Washington State Department of Health
Phone: 360.236.4030 Email: kathy.lofy at doh.wa.gov

Job Opportunities

Geriatric ARNP Position in Wenatchee Valley, WA

Confluence Health / Wenatchee Valley Medical Center in North Central Washington is seeking a Geriatric ARNP to provide on-going, high quality care to nursing home patients and in-home patients. Strong IM background, geriatric/nursing home and home visit experience preferred.

Confluence Health was formed in 2013 as an affiliation between the Wenatchee Valley Medical Center and Central Washington Hospital to create an integrated, regional healthcare delivery system with 2 hospitals, multi-specialty care in 30+ service lines and primary care with rural outreach in ten communities across North Central Washington state. Over 225 physicians and 100 advanced practice clinicians serve an area of approximately 12,000 square miles and cover nearly every corner of this region through specialty outreach.

We are located in the heart of Washington State and just 2.5 hours east of Seattle. Our region offers a diversity of recreational opportunities in breathtaking landscapes, from alpine country to the high desert, orchards to vineyards, cross country skiing to fly fishing and everything in between. Cycling, mountain biking, rafting, hiking; it is all right here. The region also offers a family friendly environment with good schools and opportunities for the entire family to be involved in culture and arts.

To learn more about our organization and area, please visit our website at: www.ConfluenceHealth.org/Recruiting. To speak with a Recruiter, please call (509)667-7398. To apply, please submit your CV to JoinUs at wvmedical.com.

ARNP Positions in Seattle, WA
Gastroenterology & Interventional Pain Management

PMC is a network of 9 outpatient clinics providing primary and specialty care to the greater Seattle area, employing over 160 providers and 600 staff.  The individuals we care for are culturally and clinically diverse, creating a stimulating and rewarding workplace.  Our strong team environment and mission allows us to provide friendly services that focus on the highest quality patient care.  We invite you to join our company!

GI ARNP – Seeking an Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner  with three or more years clinical GI practice experience (preferred) to work with our team of four GI providers.  Specific responsibilities include: initial and follow-up consultations, patient and family education, and coordination of treatment with physicians as needed.

Interventional Pain Management – Seeking an experienced Advance Registered Nurse Practitioner to work part-time (approximately four days/week) with our Pain Medicine Anesthesiologists. The ideal candidate will have three or more years’ experience in interventional pain or be willing to be trained. Additional background in psychology, neurology or neurosurgery would be beneficial. The Pain Medicine clinic features state-of-the-art equipment and innovative procedures and is focused on providing interventional pain management for chronic pain patients.

Specific responsibilities include: • Assist physician with outpatient consults • Perform routine outpatient follow-up visits • Coordinate patients sent to the clinic solely for image-guided pain management procedures • Provide patient and family education • Perform basic office procedures such as joint and trigger point injections • Program spinal cord stimulation systems • Participate in call schedule.  NOTE: This clinic rarely performs inpatient pain consults or procedures. Medication refills are a very small part of the practice volume.

Both positions will be based at our First Hill Clinic with some travel required.  The successful candidates will have a proven track record of growth, learning, and self-development. Requirements include Washington  ARNP license, and DEA certificate.

Seattle presents breathtaking scenery, performing arts, exquisite dining, world-class shopping, quality schools and unique attractions. Take advantage of outdoor recreation over four seasons with no state income tax, and you have something to please everyone in your family. PMC’s competitive salary and benefits package will support and enhance a lifelong career.

For more information, please contact: Deborah Atkins, Medical Staff Recruiter; Toll Free:  888.901.1122; Email: DeborahA at pacmed.org

ARNP – All shifts

Can you remember when everything seemed new? It can again.

There's something new waiting for you at Fairfax Behavioral Health. Plans are underway for the expansion of our hospital in Kirkland and our brand new Everett location. So it's no coincidence that we are also pursuing the area's finest behavioral health professionals to become an integral part of our team.

The addition of nearly 100 beds between our two highly desirable locations means that we will be adding over 100 new positions. One of them could be awaiting you. So apply today and start building your new future.

Multiple opportunities for ARNPs are available:
•  The ARNP Intake Clinician is responsible for screening referrals and authorizing admissions for inpatient and partial hospitalization services. They provide information regarding other community services as needed, and are in integral member of the medical staff.
•  Clinical ARNP positions both at Kirkland and Everett perform patient admission evaluations and work-ups; patient rounding opportunities.
•  ARNP FNP contracted positions for the medical screening and medical management of our patient population at both Kirkland and Everett sites.

What You Need to Succeed:
•  Minimum of one year experience in medical or mental health setting is preferred
•  Nurse Practitioner or PA from an accredited program
•  Psychiatry credential preferred for Intake and Clinical ARNPs
•  Washington State ARNP or PA licensure with CPR and Handle with Care certifications obtained at the facility.
•  Contracted ARNP positions requires FNP with 5 plus years experience preferred

Generous Benefits Portfolio:
Fairfax Behavioral Health offers an excellent time off plan, medical, dental, vision, employee assistance program, life and long term disability benefits and 401(k) plan for full time and part time employees. Company sponsored fitness membership discount, $3.00 meal tickets, and no parking fees are among some of the additional benefits also available to our employees.

Take the next step in becoming a part of our growing team. Apply online at: www.FairfaxBehavioralHealth.com. Click on Careers in the upper right corner.

Not ready yet to apply? We can keep you in the loop at
https://successcom.wufoo.com/forms/not-ready-yet/
EOE, m/f/d/v
Opening for an ARNP

Busy family practice in Bellevue seeks experienced ARNP.
Salary DOE.    Benefits negotiable.     Great patients!
Choice location near Overlake Hospital.
Email resumes to medicalartsps at msn.com
CE Opportunities
Pacific Northwest National Advanced Practice in Primary & Acute Care
Save the date for this annual conference by UW CNE. This year it will be October 9-11, 2014.
Service Ads
Interested in Mentoring the Next Generation of ARNPs?

Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, WA is looking for preceptors in the south Puget Sound area for the Family Nurse Practitioner program. Your commitment requires a minimum of 1 day a week for a semester. We need preceptors Fall (Sep to Dec), Spring (Feb to May) and Summer (May to August) semesters. If interested, please contact Dr. Lorena Guerrero at guerrelc at plu.edu or call (253) 535-7374.
Himalaya Medical Mission
Rachel Frazin, ARNP, MSN is a family nurse practitioner working in Alaska and looking for ARNPs to join her in a medical mission to a very remote part of the Himalaya where Tibetan Buddhists live. They've received no Western health care.

They will be trekking a week from Kathmandu to get to two villages where we will provide medical care this fall. A description of the trip can be found on her blogsite: volunteersfornepal.blogspot.com.
Meetings
Puget Sound Nurse Practitioners Association

Join us! Puget Sound Nurse Practitioners Association is a non-profit
organization supporting ARNPs in Puget Sound since 1998. We meet
every other month and offer a social hour/networking and a speaker presentation.

Annual dues are $60/$20 for students. $20 per meeting for guests. Apply for membership and find meeting information at http://PSNPA.org

West Sound Advanced Practice Association

Meets the second Thursday of the month. Meetings include networking/dinner/educational session. E-mail Fionafnp at centurytel.net for more information.

Photo of Month

Winter is barely over and this brown bear is out for a stroll.
photo by Bob Smithing
Ad & Publication Information
ARNP Care Ad Information

Copy deadline is the second Tuesday of the month prior to publication. Ads may be accepted later than this on a space-available basis. Position Available and Continuing Education Ads of less than 66 words are $45, of 66 to 130 words are $75, 131-180 words are $105, and greater than 181 words are $175. Position Available Ads are priced per insertion. Continuing Education Announcements are per offering for up to three (3) consecutive insertions. New Product Announcements per product for one insertion of 130 words or less are $75, more than 130 words are $175. Ad Inserts are $750 for one issue. All ads are subject to space limitations and editing. Call for detailed rate information. Mail copy to ARNP Care, 10024 SE 240th St, #230, Kent, WA 98031. Phone 253.852.9042. Fax 253.852.7725. Email care at nurse.net.
ARNP Care Editorial Board

Editors:
   Robert T. Smithing, MSN, ARNP, FAANP
   Madeline D. Wiley, MSN, ARNP, FAANP
Contributing Editors:
   Nancy Lawton, MN, ARNP (President)
   Louise Kaplan, PhD, ARNP, FAANP (Legislative Chair)
Production Staff:
   Tracy Kiele, Managing Editor
   Sarah Abid, Production Staff
   NP Central, Publisher

Copyright 2014 NP Central
ARNPs United of Washington State

Website: www.auws.org
Facebook: facebook.com/ARNPsUnited
Email: au at auws.org
Address: 10024 SE 240th St, #230, Kent, WA 98031
p. 253.480.1035   f. 253.852.7725